Categories
Clarity Healing & Well-being

Shadows, Fears & Pain…

What are “Shadow, Fears & Pain” and how do we cope with them? Before coping with them, we must know how they originate, where they reside & their likely impact on us.

What are “Shadow, Fears & Pain” and how do we cope with them? Before coping with them, we must know how they originate, where they reside & their likely impact on us.

Shadows, Fears & Pain are unresolved issues and negative emotions from our past that continue to “haunt” us in our present. What can shadows, fears & pains do to us? They can affect us negatively, and even cripple our thinking/perception and actions, thereby affecting our results/outcomes. They often deprive us from “Living in the Now” & can affect the
different aspects of our life (our mental, physical, emotional & spiritual states).

Many of us have heard that when confronted with “perceived fears”, human beings would react in one of the following manner: Fight (e.g. aggression), Flight (e.g. withdrawal) or Freeze (e.g. panic attack). These negative perceptions are so powerful that unless we “exorcise” the ghosts of our pasts and make peace with them, they will come back at intervals
to haunt us.

Where do we start? We need to start from where they reside i.e. our sub-conscious mind (a library of our memories, experiences, beliefs, past programming etc).

Scientists have often alluded that human beings used only about 5% of their mind. The subconscious mind (remaining 95%) if “tamed” & well tapped upon, can be our greatest ally in helping us achieve our dreams.

Many motivational books and tapes encourage people who would like to achieve positive outcomes to change their thinking (i.e. mental model, reframing, re-perceiving, paradigm shift). They are correct in identifying that our Thinking will affect our Emotions, which in turn affect our Action, & then our Results.

However, many people have also alluded to the fact that it is not easy to change one’s thinking. Why is this so? This is because much of our current thinking has been shaped by our previous experiences, memories & beliefs (i.e. past programming). For any sustained change to take place, we must access our sub-conscious mind and make the change there. We need to check out past programming, release the “ghosts – shadows, fears & pain” (if any) and reprogramme new, positive inputs at the sub-conscious level. In short, our sub-conscious mind needs to be fed good inputs & need to learn, unlearn & relearn a new vocabulary (“mental housekeeping” or in computer language, “defragmentation”).

This reminds me of the following story, entitled “What Do You Feed?”

Once, a grandson came to his grandfather and asked his grandfather about a dream he had every night for the past 5 nights. The grandson said that he had been dreaming about two wolves (i.e. a good wolf & a bad wolf) fighting every night. He then asked his grandfather, which of the two wolves, would eventually win the fight. To this, the grandfather replied, “The One You FEED”.

The question we should ask ourselves constantly is: “What do we feed our mind?”